Acupuncture and Conception
In theory, conception is simple: a woman ovulates, releasing a mature egg. That egg is fertilized by her partner's sperm. The fertilized egg the moves down the fallopian tube and attaches to the lining of the uterus (implantation). Viola! Pregnancy.
In practice, however, starting or growing a family can be much more complicated. A couple may experience trouble conceiving, often because they don't understand that the conception process actually begins long before ovulation.
There are many things you can do to increase your chances for conception, including:
- Being treated with Acupuncture and Chinese herbs
- Eating a healthy diet, including whole-fat rather than low-fat dairy
- Taking vitamins and supplements, particularly folic acid
- Limiting caffeine
- Avoiding alcohol
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Exercising regularly, but not excessively
- Managing stress (Acupuncture can help with this)
- Getting enough sleep, at least seven hours per night
- Reducing exposure to toxic chemicals
When you take these steps to prepare your body, your chances for conception increase dramatically.
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs, in particular, help you to conceive in a number of ways. The relationship between acupuncture and conception includes helping regulate your menstrual cycle, balancing hormone levels, and increasing circulation to the uterus.
When you are experiencing fertility problems, acupuncture and herbs can address the subtle imbalances in your body that are often undiagnosed by doctors practicing western medicine. In addition, when you have already taken extra steps to conceive, acupuncture can help.
Numerous studies have shown that acupuncture can increase the efficacy of in-vitro fertilization (IVF) by:
- Reducing stress
- Increasing the number of follicles produced
- Helping to thicken the endometrial lining
- Decreasing the side effects of drugs for fertility and IVF medications